Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Worth The Drive




By Philippe Buteau
South Bureau Chief

How do I go about reviewing Sex Drive? Should I use almost four hundred words to say how much I enjoyed it, get really cynical and discuss why it isn’t the greatest movie of this type or try to convince those that decided to not see the movie to see it?


Whichever angle I pick I still wouldn’t know where to start.


For example, I could start with the characters. Which, excluding the male and female leads, were really defined, written and played by their respective actors. James Marsden (Cyclops in the X-Men trilogy) did such a good job in a role so different from what I’ve seen him do that I’d go so far as to compare him to Tom Cruise’s character in Tropic Thunder.


But if there was one character that made the movie it would have to be Lance played by Clark Duke. The “get-all-the-girls” nerd is a rare treat in movies, and Duke plays it extremely well.

There are also about a half-a-dozen more well written and played supporting characters, such as the sarcastic Amish mechanic played by Seth Green.


But I don’t want to start this review with the characters. Maybe how funny the movie is?

It certainly is funny, especially if the idea of a cruder American Pie sounds good to you.


However, the funny, which isn’t to spread out, comes more from what is seen as opposed to what is heard, but in this movie physical comedy works. Not physical in that “hit in the head with a wrench” way, but physical none-the-less.

No, I won’t start like that. I know, I’ll start with the story and the lesson it tries to teach.

But should I discussing a story as clichéd as this? A story of the “poor virgin” going on an adventure to get his. Thankfully the specifics aren’t predictable, but you realize that you saw the ending in American Pie 2. And the moral of the movie itself can’t really be argued, but its introduction at the movie’s conclusion didn’t make much sense.

Nah, not that way.

Now I’m stuck. I really did enjoy this movie and would recommend it to people who just want to laugh in their comedies and don’t need story; I just don’t know how to start this review.

No comments: